If you are interested to experience newer, visually appealing interface and other numerous (almost unlimited) customization options then you can try installing the new CyanogenMod CM12 series Android 5.0.2 Lollipop custom ROM.
We like to remind our readers that this nightly version is unstable and has some un-tested bugs in it. So, we advise our readers go through the whole tutorial article first before going ahead with the custom ROM installation.
Some of features that are missing in the nightly version are:
- Theme Engine
- Quick Settings reorganization and customization
- Quick Settings Ribbon mode
- Navigation bar reorganization and customization
- Sound panel customization
- Lock-screen quick unlock
Cyanogen confirmed that they have completed 85 % of development of the stable firmware and would roll-out it soon. Until then users can upgrade their device with nightly update.
Prerequisites (Things to remember before installing the CyanogenMod CM12 Nightly):
- Users are advised to update their third party addons to ensure compatibility
- The CM backupscript.sh in recovery will ignore and remove incompatible applications from your system partition (these are usually non-CM apps that users have opted to install). You must install a compatible app (or app pack) to regain that functionality
- You can flash CM12 nightlies directly from CM11 M12 or CM 11 nightlies (no need to wipe), provided you read and followed the above 1 and 2 steps
- Once on CM12 nightlies, you cannot downgrade back to CM11 without wiping – if you are thinking of just exploring the release, then take a backup of your existing installation if you want to go back to it.
- Users must install Lollipop OS compatible recovery before installing the new CM12 custom ROM.
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation
- This new CyanogenMod CM12 Android 5.0.2 Lollipop firmware has to be installed on the Samsung Galaxy S5 (unified-GSM) Klte models; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
[highlight][Note: Users are advised not to install this custom ROM on AT&T and Verizon Galaxy S5 models][/highlight]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure you have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is a chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. Talk Android News cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Guide: Step-by-step installation procedure of CyanogenMod [Official] Android 5.0.2 Lollipop CM12 Custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy S5 (Unified-GSM) Klte models:
[Note: Build release-date: 15/01/2015]
Step 2: Connect Samsung Galaxy S5 to PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click HERE to download the firmware]
Step 3: Then, place Android 5.0.2 Lollipop CM12 Custom ROM zip file into the phone’s SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users’ begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool.]
Step 4: Now, turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Then perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding ‘Volume (up)’, ‘Home’ and ‘Power’ buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by selecting ‘wipe data/factory reset’
[Note: use ‘Volume’ keys to navigate and ‘Power’ button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Now, clear the cache memory by choosing ‘wipe cache partition’
Step 8: Then to go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select ‘advanced’ and tap ‘wipe dalvik cache’ [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Again come back to main recovery screen and then tap ‘install zip from SD card’
Step 10: Then tap ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and go to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. [Note: use ‘Volume’ keys to navigate and ‘Power’ button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to ‘+++++Go Back+++++’ and re-start the device by opting ‘reboot system now’ seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Samsung Galaxy S5 GSM) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod Android 5.0.2 Lollipop custom ROM.